“Walmart is investing in all channels, all the time" — CEO Bill Simon at the Goldman Sachs Global Retail Conference.
Digital-physical convergence projects that Wal-Mart has launched in the last 12 months include:
- Ship from store has recently gone from the pilot phase to a broader rollout.
- Pay with cash for online orders.
- Lockers in stores. Customers can order online and then go their store locker to pick up items.
- Scan and go mobile payment. Self-checkout by a customer using a smartphone.
- Store-specific mobile app. Tells shoppers what specials are available in a specific store on a specific date.
- Same day delivery. Up and running in San Francisco for groceries.
- Non-traditional loyalty marketing program. Uses multiple data sources to produce a multi-dimensional view of individual shoppers and customer segments. It pulls and aggregates data from Sam’s Club, walmart.com, traceable tender in Walmart stores, and data from suppliers.